Sunday, April 21, 2013

Vinyl Smell-O-Meter




Those that know me understand that the smell of vinyl is my favorite smell in the world. I know that is seems strange, being this smell is merely the decomposition of the cardboard that contains the records of music that I love. 

It is the essence of the music that is captured in the smell that I am crazy for. During Record Store Day 2013 I realized I need to put together the Vinyl Smell-O-Meter to show you the ranking of the four record stores I have visited in Pittsburgh on the Smell-O-Meter.

You may or may not understand my obsession, but I figured I would share it.  The four listed are record stores in Pittsburgh I have visited and are ranked below.

0 - Sound Cat Records - With their business primarily focused on the sale of Compact Disks, they did not even rank on the meter. They contained a very small select section of New and Used vinyls records for sale, which made it impossible to make the meter.

5 - Dave's Music Mine had a basement full of vintage records spanning from the 1950's to new releases. The smell of decomposing vinyls ranked #5.

8 - The Attic in Millvale came close to the top of the scent ranking. Their store was flooded by shelves and racks of records and employed the most knowledgable of individuals that could easily track down your favorite album or artist.

10 - Jerry's Records by far ranked the highest of the vinyl smell. He has created quite the collection of records over the last 33+ years. If you want it, most likely Jerry has it. You would be lost in this sea of records for days searching for your childhood nostalgia.

No comments:

Post a Comment