Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Lana Del Rey - The Artist (Part 1)

When reviewing an album (especially with a new artist), I refrain from extensive research via interviews, articles or critic’s reviews. I want my interpretation of an album to be pure. Any “inception” that may occur with viewing other’s material could sway my thoughts. (GASP?!... I suppose I am doing this to others with my reviews.) But that’s beside the point, when it comes to Miss Lana Del Rey I have broken my own rules.  

I was very pleased to learn she was performing on Saturday Night Live. After her performance I thought, “Wow, she is very green.” I could only imagine the nerves she could have been feeling especially with the added pressure that if not done well, her album debut could flop. Well that is, unfortunately, what happened and the media buzz has come with a vengeance. I cannot even surf the net without seeing someone’s point of view about her. But I say even bad publicity is well, publicity. 

In a recent interview by Complex Magazine (thanks @graenewyork), I am perplexed by her. I admire her way of creating mystique and imagery of old Hollywood, but does the F-word need to be so forced? Trust me I can easily polish off the BIG word and it usually comes naturally, just not so planned. 

And what is the heckling to the audience all about? Is she creating a shtick? Well maybe since it has all been done before (The shock that is...from the Lady Gaga’s to the Nicki Minaj’s of the pop world) this 'shtick' is the NEW persona for artists of 2012. 

And now here we are today with the release her album Born To Die, and it seems to be doing quite wellIt is number 36 on iTunes as of 7 am (US charts) and I have a feeling it will rise to the top 10 later today. The album hit number 1 in 11 other countries, including the UK, France and Germany. So I guess bad publicly isn't such a bad thing... 

In the end, the industry is very used to a polished artist when first “purchased of the rack” and it is looking for instant gratification. Miss Del Rey’s performances may fall in line with being imperfect, and perhaps her “release” was premature, but let's not write this girl off just yet, perhaps there is just some additional assembly required.


1 comment:

  1. Well said....she has feelings as we all do....she has talent ...not too many artists release an album that hits #1 so fast worldwide....amazing

    ReplyDelete