Monday, September 26, 2011

Clap Your Hands Say Yeah - Hysterical


Officially introduced to Clap Your Hands Say Yeah on their third album Hysterical, released September 20, 2011, my first listen was delightful and grabbed my attention immediately.  The second listen was a little more concentrated on the deep cut lyrics from the lead singer and songwriter, Alec Ounsworth. His haunting lyrics, especially in “Adam’s Plane” drew me in for a closer look and listen.

Their upbeat rock edge single “Hysterical” found its way into my dreams and I would find myself singing it as I woke. ”Maniac” is the lasting single on this album that keeps you wanting more.  The words Ounsworth has penned bring you to a trippy yet enjoyable ride. These two singles are the driving force behind this album.

Overall, the album started strong through the first six tracks, and then felt stale.  Although the album as a whole was lyrically stimulating I felt something was missing. Patiently waiting for the album to drop, I was anxiously waiting the oomph that never came.

Would I buy their next album?  Yes, I am curious to see where Ounsworth and the other band members take their talent.

To learn more about the history of this underdog group, check out thier website or see what they are up to on Twitter @cyhsyband

No comments:

Post a Comment