Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Foster the People - Torches

Recently I came across Foster the People’s album Torches and I have no idea what took me so long to listen to it. Okay, I must admit I anticipated this group to fade after their first single “Pumped Up Kicks”.  With the quick rise and fall of this track on main stream radio and its “can’t get it out of my head” melody, this band had all the symptoms of what, I thought, would have been a one hit wonder. However after listening to the entire record, this girl has a much different viewpoint of this band.
The album is a concocted stew of several musical genres from electronica to pop, crossing over into indie and settling into retro 80s. Each song has its own distinct electronica shuffle and is reborn into a new age twist which seems to be apparent with other artists like Walk the Moon Band and MGMT.
This record is energetic and promotes a new dawn attitude with a "sense of exploration and hint of creative play" with each track establishing its own enticing hook. I hope this band will have more than just a mere "summer anthem", but a lasting post-summer soundtrack.

No comments:

Post a Comment